Skin Cancer Prevention
Dr. Alysa Herman, a board-certified dermatologist and Florida skin cancer specialist, is one of an elite few who have completed a fellowship in Mohs and Dermatologic Surgery. By limiting her practice to Mohs surgery and surgical dermatology, she has cultivated the skills and experience required to serve the needs of skin cancer patients. In fact, due to her reputation as an authority on skin cancer treatment, most of Dr. Herman’s patients choose her based on recommendations from their own physicians.
Despite the advances in skin cancer prevention, detection, and treatment, skin cancer is the most common form of cancer in the United States, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Dr. Herman has complied several important guidelines on the prevention of skin cancer for her Miami patients and individuals everywhere.
Early detection and treatment can save lives. Request a consultation online today, or call
(305) 444-4979 to schedule your appointment with Dr. Herman.
Dr. Alysa Herman
If you've been diagnosed with skin cancer, you need a physician who is exceptionally qualified, experienced and compassionate. Dr. Herman is renowned among physicians and patients for her credentials and her dedication to patient care.
Request your Consultation ▸
The American Academy of Dermatology and Skin Cancer Foundation both recommend following these guidelines:
- Because the rays of the sun are strongest between 10 am and 4 pm, it is important to minimize your exposure to the sun during those hours. Plan outdoor activities, such as playing golf or gardening, before or after this time period.
- Use a broad spectrum (UVA/UVB) sunscreen with an SPF of 30 or higher every day. For extended outdoor activity, their studies show that you will receive the optimal protection from a water-resistant, broad spectrum (UVA/UVB) sunscreen with an SPF of 30 or higher. The Skin Cancer Foundation also recommends that you apply the sunscreen half an hour before you go outside and reapply every 2 hours that you are outdoors. If you swim or perspire heavily, reapply the sunscreen immediately.
- Before you go outdoors, choose protective attire, such as a long-sleeved shirt or blouse, wide-brimmed hat, and sunglasses coated with ultraviolet (UV) blocking. Apply sunblock a minimum of 30 minutes prior to sun exposure.
- Do not use UV beds at tanning salons. If you want to appear tanned, apply a spray tan solution or a self-tanning lotion that tints your skin.
ABSOLUTELY a wonderful staff and Doctor. Always very accommodating. You are seen at your appointment time, not 2 hour later. Very considerate of your time and always available to answer any question. Dr. Herman is a very down to earth, beautiful young professional. She is a rare find in today's world. She really cares about her patients. Will not go anywhere else from now on for my MOH's.
I have found Dr. Alysa Herman to be extremely professional, a perfectionist when it comes to her surgery and her patient care is excellent. I have 100% confidence and satisfaction in this MOHs surgeon and would highly recommend her.
Excellent Dr. and staff, i went to Dr. Herman for mohs surgery and for other concerns about my skin due to abnormal results they were able to walk with me through the process and answer all my questions and concerns. I highly recommend them for mohs surgeries, skin concerns and 2nd opinions.
I took my mom here for a mole removal surgery. The building has a parking garage and plenty of (pay to park app) spaces on the street. Once you walk in, you sign in and head up to the 7th floor. Dr Herman has a beautiful office with modern decor, and ample space. The staff is bilingual in English/Spanish, they are beyond helpful. The secretaries are on top of everything, they were working non stop the whole time were there. Her PAs are very professional and have such sweet bedside manner.
My mom had her mole removed in less than an hour. The doctor was very thorough, explained the procedure and how to take care of it. Mom felt no pain, and had to be back to take stitches off in one week. We had no problem scheduling her for an early appt in 7days..
Came in for a consultation and walked out doing a procedure. That is how comfortable Dr. Herman and her staff made us feel. Dr Herman was very professional and took her time explaining everything thoroughly. Office is clean, modern and beautiful. Highly recommend her!
My surgical procedure went very well. Dr Herman made me feel at ease and relaxed.
I was diagnosed with a Kerancanthenoma. Scary stuff. I then tried to find a surgeon for Mohs surgery to remove it. I found Dr. Herman. She was great. Her office is very nice, staff very helpful and Dr. Herman was great. She even gave me her cell number if I wanted to talk to her. Great results. If you need Mohs surgery, Dr. Herman is the greatest.
excellent service; excellent professional doctor
Dr. Herman and her staff are wonderful. She is a true professional and you can tell she likes was she does and cares. They speak with you not talk at you which is important when you dealing with positive results. She puts you a ease. Her staff is awesome. They are ALL respectfull of your time. If your appointment is at 10am, you are seen at 10 am not bounced around through different rooms. Highly, highly recommend.
Perform self-inspections of your skin, including your scalp, each month. Contact a dermatologist who specializes in skin cancer immediately if you notice:
- Changes in your skin that look suspicious
- Lesions that appear unusual
- Any areas that do not heal
If you have been diagnosed with and treated for skin cancer, a qualified dermatologist should examine your skin thoroughly every 3 to 12 months, based on your diagnosis. Studies show that 1 occurrence of skin cancer results in a higher chance of developing this disease again.
Back to Top
Dr. Herman is honored as one of Miami's Top Doctors by Indulge Magazine, highlighting her as one of the city's few dermatologic surgeons specializing in Mohs micrographic surgery for skin cancer.
Learn More ▸